Most people think that adding a touch of style to their home is a long-term process, one that will take them days, weeks or even months to accomplish. The fact is, a bit of creativity and effort can help you turn around your home in just one day. All you need to do is let your inner artist out to play, and each of us has one of those, even if we don’t think so!
Walls are the easiest part of the house to start decorating, since they are essentially blank canvases just begging for some attention. When you’ve been staring at the same walls for even a few days, you get used to the way they look and it becomes a little difficult to come up with ideas, doesn’t it?
Easy and Quick Ideas for Wall Decoration
Luckily, you don’t have to strain yourself too much! We’ve collected some great wall decoration ideas here, with the intent to start you off on your creative journey. Use these as they are, or let them inspire you to revamp your home:
1. Display Jewelry on Them – Cheap beaded jewelry, single earrings (for which you’ve lost the partner), old pendants and chains – these don’t need to be hidden away in a box under your cupboard! Instead, install a few hooks at a strategic height and hang these little baubles from them. You can place them in a straight line across the wall, inside an empty frame or pick a random display, whatever you prefer.
2. Books as Shelves – No, we don’t mean bookshelves, but old books use as interesting alternatives to traditional display shelves. Head to your nearest used book store and pick up a bunch of large and sturdy hardcovers (if you don’t have any lying around at home). Install the same wall brackets that you would use for regular shelves and screw on a single book, spine facing out. Then, use it to store more books, collectibles or anything else you would place on a regular shelf! Detailed instructions here and a simpler version here.
3. Empty Picture Frames – These are literally the most versatile bits of wall decor you could imagine. You can paint them all the same color and hang them up as is, add a picture, painting or even a mirror inside. Here’s an unusual way to use picture frames – Mount them on the wall and install a hook in the center of each one. Then, use these hooks to display jewelry, pretty plates, dreamcatchers, crochet doilies or just about any other knick-knacks!
4. Art Prints and Paintings – When you don’t have time to DIY your wall decoration, just pick out a gorgeous print and display it in a prominent space. There is a huge range of amazing prints available online, so you can choose one that fits your sense of style and aesthetics. You could also get a painting to fill out a blank space, if you can find one that fits your budget (they tend to be a bit on the pricey side).
5. Newspaper Art – Even if you’ve never tried making paper collages before, a newspaper collage is simple to make and super-elegant too. The best part is that you can find all the materials you need lying around your house, so just get some friends together or ask your family to join in and create some eye-catching pieces of art in no time! Instructions here.
You could also decorate your walls with colorful tiles (as a collage or single pieces), create paper collages and frame them, or even hang unusual objects like kites from them. If you have some spare time, try painting one wall in a room with a vibrant and eye-catching color, letting that form the center of interest!