When the holiday season rolls around, the first thing that comes to mind is the gorgeous decor you see everywhere you go. Christmas trees, fairy lights, shiny ornaments, tinsel, the list just goes on and on. It’s hard not to get into the festive spirit when you’re surrounded by so much beauty and excitement!
DIY Decor is the Best Way to Go!
When I think of the holiday season, my favorite memories are the afternoons spent with my family, indulging in crafty goodness – creating and embellishing beautiful decor accessories for our home. Just like cooking a meal from scratch, handmade decorations, greeting cards and gifts always seem more special than just buying something off the rack.
Let’s look at some really easy ideas you could try out, even if you’ve never DIY-ed anything before!
1. Glam Up Your Candles – This is really simple – all you need are some plain candles, glue, glitter, sequins and – most importantly – your own imagination. Glue sequins and glitter all over the candle, creating designs or just randomly strewing them on. Alternately, you could cover the sides of the candle with glue (about halfway up) and then just dip them in sequins or glitter for super-sparkly impact.
2. Show Off Your Photos – This is another simple and effective way to instantly add festive appeal to your home. Get a bunch of family photographs that you love (friends are family too!) and display them all over your home. You could get them printed on canvas for a large design, or place them in frames on your tables, walls or even hang smaller ones from the Christmas tree.
3. Create Paper Ornaments – Three-dimensional paper stars, trees and hearts are quite easy to make and if you use colorful patterned or metallic paper, they are really eye-catching. Just cut two identical shapes for each ornament, and then cut a slit halfway up the center of one and halfway down the center of the other. Slide them together at right angles and string them up. Voila, instant holiday decor!
4. Embellish Your Walls – Give your walls some holiday love too, with art prints, wall stickers and decals in festive hues like red, green and gold. You don’t even need to go looking for these since you can easily find a huge variety of designs, shapes and colors in online stores and have them delivered to you. Do you want to know the best part? Wall decor is not just for the holidays – it can add visual interest to any area of your home all year long!
5. Make Some Wreaths – Holiday wreaths don’t have to be complicated and you can whip one up in a matter of minutes. It couldn’t be simpler – just take an embroidery hoop or round frame, colored tissue paper or netting fabric in a festive shade and start looping the material over the frame. Scrunch it up for volume and glue it in place every few inches, continuing till the whole frame is covered. Then, just add a few beads, twigs, paper snowflakes, artificial holly sprigs or plastic berries and you’re done!
Making your own holiday home decor is an experience that you will never forget, especially if you get the whole family involved. As a bonus, guests and visitors will not be able to believe you did it all on your own!